miércoles, 5 de diciembre de 2018

"SURELY" (FOR AVANZADO C12)


Surely
We use the adverb surely to express a degree of certainty. It does not express as much certainty as definitely or certainly. When we use surely, we are hoping that our listener will agree with us:
Lisa will surely find a solution to the problem. (I want you to agree with me that Lisa will find a solution.)
Surely this is against the law. (I want you to agree with me that it is against the law.)

Compare:
It's surely quicker if you have a computer. (  I want you to agree with me)



It's certtainly quicker if you have a computer. (I am certain that it is quicker to have a computer)


We can use surely in questions, to show surprise:

“We are moving to LA” “Surely you are (leaving to LA)?
“She has decided to take the job” “Surely she has decided to take it?

EXERCISE: Complete the sentences
1.- “I am quitting my job” “Surely __________________?
2.- “I told you I put he key in my pocket” “Surely _________________?
3.- “It looks like they are coming” “Surely _________________?
4.- “That’s Peter over there” “Surely _________________?
5.- “The pólice arrested me for stealing an apple!!” “Surely _______________?

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario